Echomax Logo

International Requirements

Rule 7(b) of the International Regulations for Avoiding Collisions at Sea states

(b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects.

X band is referred to as the collision avoidance frequency and in a Court of Law it would not help the Captains case in collision with another vessels if it were disclosed that the X band radar was either switched off or not being monitored.

RTE purchase and use

EEC Countries

When purchasing an RTE for use in EU countries it is in your own interest to check that it is “legal”. It should, until the ETSI standard EN 302 752 becomes harmonised, be marked as CE followed by 4 numbers followed an alert sign! in a circle.

Active XS mark CE 0191

Following harmonisation, in certain circumstances the 4 numbers can be omitted. But the CE and alert mark must remain.

To meet the requirements of the R&TTE directive the product must meet ITU-R M.1176.

In the UK your Active-X-XS must be added to your Ships VHF License.

You will need to be registered to use the online service at

When you have logged in and see the page with your licence(s) listed, click on amend licence and work your way through until you come to the add equipment page. Expand the relevant section and add your new equipment, save the changes and then print your new licence

For other countries you must check with your respective licensing authorities what action is required prior to using your RTE.





In the USA a product must carry an FCC ID and may require a users licence. The Active-X has FCC approval ref FCC ID : XZMACTIVE-X.

FCC approval ref for the Active-XS is: XZMACTIVE-XS.  In the USA it is a very serious offence to use an RTE which does not carry FCC approval and as far as we are aware no other RTEs have this approval.


Since the Echomax Active-RTE has output power less than 1 kW and not covered under any Canadian Radio Standards Specification the equipment does not need to be certified for the time being. The equipment may need a licence to operate under a radio station licence for a ship owner according to the following conditions:

- Vessels smaller than 20m length are exempt of licence for navigation on Canadian water. However, if they plan to navigate on international water, a licence is required.

- Vessels larger than 20m length require a licence.

Normally, Marina Clubs will inform the owner of ship regarding this rule. When a licence is granted, it is for all equipment on board of the vessel including devices where RSS do not apply.

For licence application: "IC-3020: Application for a Maritime Mobile Radio Station Licence" is the document to consult.